XEF232 PCB design questions

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
Automatyk

XEF232 PCB design questions

Post by Automatyk »

Hello,

i am currently working on my own PCB design and i would like to use XEF232-1024-FB374 device.
I have been working only with statKIT board so i have no expirience with xCORE-200 devices and i would like somebody to confirm if the physical connections of components that i came up with might be working.

Below i wrote the features i would like to use:

- Gigabit Ethernet: i want use RGMII interface available on tile 3. As far as I know gigabit ethernet requires 8 logical core so no other IO on this tile are going to be used.

- USB 2.0: utilization of USB PHY available on tile 0.

- Tile 1: i want to use those ports available from this tile in my aplication:
- 1L - uart RX
- 1M - uart TX
- 1C, 1D, 1E,1F,1G,1H,1I,1J,1K,1N,1O, 1P, 4F,32A - 3x motor control
- 4C, 4D, 4E - 3x quadrature encoder
- Tile 2: IO
- 1D, 1E,1G,1H,1I,1J,1K,1L,1M,4E,4F,32A - 3x motor control
- 4A, 4C, 4D - 3x quadrature encoder

- xSYS connection:
- X0L0 - xlink 2w connection (X0D40, X0D41, X0D42, X0D43)

And the things that i am not sure about:
1. would it be possible to utilize USB and ethernet at the same time?
2. Does the task has to be on the same tile as io port that the task is using?

Can anyone confirm if this configuratoin might be working properly? Is there anyting that i can improve?
The rest of necessary connection such as power supply, JTAG, seems to be clear to me.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english.

kind regards

henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi Automatyk

That is an ambitious first project :)

To answer your questions first:

1) Yes - you can USB and Gb ethernet simultaneously
2) Yes - you can only drive IO pins from the tile on which the software is running.

I haven't checked on the datasheets that all the listed ports are available on the package - but I assume you have. It looks like a sensible set.

I would draw a thread-diagram next, that lists which tasks are going to communicate which which ones, and check that you don't run out of memory, MIPS, clock blocks, LOGICAL cores, etc - but it looks OK at a first glance.

Two words of general advice. The only thing that is unusual about the XE232 is that you must put a pull-up on one of pins X2D04..6; the data sheet says where. Also heed the advice on how to wire RGMII up, in particular note that the RX_CLK must be low on reset.

Cheers,
Henk
Automatyk

Post by Automatyk »

Hello Hank.

Thak you for your answer :)

I'm glad to hear that this set might be working. I have checked on the datasheets if these ports are available and for me they looked ok. I was worrying about unusuall connections like those you had mentioned about pins X2D04..6 or RX_CLK.

Your advices were very halpful and now it seems like I have enough knowledge to start working on schematisc :)

Thank you once again,
Automatyk