chain USB-djkit with slicekit

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
pasau
Experienced Member

chain USB-djkit with slicekit

Post by pasau »

Hi, we are trying to chain the Xmos Djkit (XP-SKC_SU1) with the SliceKit (XP-SKC-L2). By doing xrun -l, we can see every tiles [2..0]. For the moment, we are trying to run a test program by flashing the LEDS from the slicekit GPIO slice. We created a new .xn file for the board configuration we have, by merging the existing .xn files that are already available from the boards.

Our test program uses 2 tiles, and we tested with the slicekit only without problems. When trying with the chained platforms, at first we had an error message about the .xn file and the XMOS links, but now the program starts running and by debugging, we see that it skips everything in the main and does literally nothing. Since the program worked with a different hardware platform, we are positive that the problem is either with the .xn file or the makefile. Had anyone encountered a similar issue, a little bit of help would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!
main.xc
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
main.xc
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Makefile.txt
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Makefile.txt
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
platform.xn.txt
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
platform.xn.txt
(4.84 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

The XN file looks alright to me except the following :

Code: Select all

<Boot>
            <Source Location="SPI:bootFlash"/>
            <Bootee NodeId="SLICE_0" Tile="0"/>
          </Boot>
Change this to

Code: Select all

<Boot>
            <Source Location="SPI:bootFlash"/>
            <Bootee NodeId="SLICE_0" Tile="1"/>
            <Bootee NodeId="SLICE_1" Tile="1"/>
          </Boot>
Check if this fixes your issue.

Sethu.
pasau
Experienced Member

Post by pasau »

it is still not working; sometimes i get this error too

Load failed
First stage multi-node boot failed, please check XN file and Xmos link connectivity
First stage multi-node boot failed, please check XN file and Xmos link connectivity
pasau
Experienced Member

Post by pasau »

Hi there, i tried updating my xn file with the recommandation from sethu. I also modified a couple of things in my xn file according to the xTimeComposer guide, section 46. I am now getting different errors. First of all, if i put the the type attribute Type="XS1-L6A-64" for the dj kit package, i get the following error:

Error: Node types cannot yet be mixed
error: architectures cannot be mixed (XS1-L8A-64/XS1-L6A-64)

, since i am also putting two nodes of the type XS1-L8A-64 for the L16 chip, according to the slicekit demo .xn file.

If i change the node type to XS1-L8A-64 for the dj kit processor as well, it compiles, but when i try to run the build, i get an error saying : no modules used.
platform.xn_2.txt
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
platform.xn_2.txt
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hi,

I have done some changes to the XN file which you have sent me. The XN file builds alright. But, please make a note that I haven't tried on the hardware.

Sethu.
Attachments
platform.xn.txt
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
platform.xn.txt
(4.88 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
pasau
Experienced Member

Post by pasau »

I used your version of the .xn file, and after a few hours of trying random stuff i stopped getting the previous errors. I tried for the first time to run in simulation and i am able to debug my code with all 3 tiles that seem to work. Although when i run the program on hardware, my tile 0 is stuck in wakeCore() and my 2 L16 tiles, which are tile 1 and tile 2 are stuck in receiveEnd(). So i think the devices are failing to boot correctly, but i don't see the problem, since i have the jtag connected to the dj kit, which has the jtag interface mapped onto the slice connector i am using with the chain connector from the slicekit. I think that connecting a jtag will make the device boot from jtag automatically but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Thank you for the help! It is very appreciated
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hello,

I just had a quick go with the DJ kit and sliceKIT connected together using xLINKs on the hardware. I have removed the link connection between Link D of DJ kit and Link A of sliceKIT (tile0) and tried using only one link and the XN file worked without any issues. The reason the XN file did not work earlier because, to use the Link D on the DJ Kit, you need to have the resistor array R2 mounted. Have a look at the DJ kit schematics for more details: https://www.xmos.com/en/published/xp-sk ... sign-files

I have attached the application workspace which is tested on the hardware.

Sethu.
Attachments
xcore-djk-sk.zip
(51.79 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
xcore-djk-sk.zip
(51.79 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
pasau
Experienced Member

Post by pasau »

Thank you, removing the link in the .xn file did the trick. It was not obvious at all for me that you had to mount the resistors first but i see why they did that. You also gave me another test build, thanks for that. Have a nice day!