XTAG2s have stopped working!

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

XTAG2s have stopped working!

Post by leon_heller »

I've acquired two or three XTAG2s over the last couple of years. Whilst the latest one I got with a Slicekit (it's V1.3) works OK with with the Slicekit and my older boards using the latest 12.2.0 tools, the older XTAG2s (one V1.3 and one Ver0.4 Firmware) don't (the target isn't recognised). Has anyone else had this problem? It's presumably something to do with the XTAG2 firmware. Can they be upgraded?

The newest one that I got with the Slicekit has now stopped working! Something very strange is going on!

I get this in the console:

.gdbinit: No such file or directory.
auto-solib-add on
Undefined command: "auto-solib-add". Try "help".
connect --adapter-id MgAesA5b

and this in the Problem dialogue box:

Target connection failed
Target is not responding (timed out)

It's the same with the Slicekit and an old XS1-L1-64 board. Both were working earlier this morning with the latest XTAG2.

When I do a Release build and try to run it, I get:

xrun: Adapter ID is incorrect

I found a third XTAG2 V1.3 - it's the same as the others.

I got things working again by executing Debug from Debug Configurations. Clicking on the Debug icon doesn't seem to work now, although it always used to.

JohnWilson

Post by JohnWilson »

Mine has always been super flaky. After a bunch of remove/reinsert cycles it eventually gets recognized, and after that I'm OK as long as USB power doesn't drop, ever. This has come up before on the forum so I suspect there's a long-standing bug, that you can work around if you stick to a routine.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

This seems to be a problem with the latest 12.2.0. It was OK previously.

I think that I've pinned the problem down! It seems to happen when I change to a different XTAG2, which might be on a different target board or the same target board. If I use the icon to commence debugging I get the problem. If I start debugging from Debug Configurations that works OK, and if I subsequently use the icon, it continues working normally. If I go back to the original XTAG2 that had been working, that now misbehaves with the icon. It seems to be repeatable.

Could someone with more than one XTAG2 please see if they get the same problem?
nieuwhzn
Member++

Post by nieuwhzn »

I'm just reviving my XMP-64. Since I was managing a big project I didn't have time to play with it for almost 1.5 years.
With the latest tools (of which I'm only using the command line stuff) the USB-XTAG2 communication is extremely flaky. It looks like the board doesn't get reset when uploading a program, the program misbehaves, etc., etc.
There are initial complaints about the board not being recognized, the node configuration not being correct, i.e. something is really wrong.
Currently I'm working my way back through the previous versions of the tools. Version 10.4 works fine, but I'd like to use something a little bit more mainstream.

I know that there were some issues with the mapper for the XMP-64 in the 12.0.0beta version, but I would assume that that would have been resolved in the production version that are released?
Anyway, the XMP-64 was an expensive board and I would expect XMOS to keep on supporting this board. I plan to use this board for a proof-of-principle demostruction to see whether we can use multiple parallel operating XMOS chips in our future design. However, if XMOS support for barely three year old boards already falls through then that doesn't do much for future credibility.