How to flash on DSP4You AVB-DB board?

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
slamecka

How to flash on DSP4You AVB-DB board?

Post by slamecka »

Using XTIMEcomposer to flash the AVB-DG board with the 'app_simple_avb_demo' code.I receive the following warnings / error:
Warning: according to mode pins, system is not set to boot from JTAG
xrun: First stage multi-node boot failed, please check XN file and Xmos link connectivity 
Error: F03034 Failed to fully run flash inquisitor.
Error: F03034 By default xflash will try to connect to a target in order to determine
Error: F03034 which flash device is being used even when outputting only to file. 
Error: To F03034 prevent this connection supply the --noinq option.
I'm using DSP4You's production code base and therefore am using the board XN file provided with the code.  The only code change modified the value of AVB_DEFAULT_VLAN to support a particular AVB switch I'm testing.  So no changes to XN file and no errors when building the project.My set up is very simple... AVB-DG  -->  DSP4You JTAG to XTAG2 board  -->  XTAG2  -->  MacBook Pro.   I don't have any test equipment like scope to determine what's going on at a pin level.Any suggestions / insights are appreciated.

Thanks, Al

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Did you try running xrun -l command to see if the device is active?

Sethu
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

slamecka wrote:Warning: according to mode pins, system is not set to boot from JTAG
Fix that? Some boards have a jumper to boot from JTAG, the
nicer boards have things wired up so that it works automagically,
and on the not-so-nice boards you need to do some surgery
with a hot iron.

Have you tried asking DSP4You? Have you read the documentation
they provide (if any)?
slamecka

Post by slamecka »

I contacted DSP4You and received an immediate reply stating they know of this issue which is caused by the Microchip MCU program holding the process of doing a flash (shared pin).

They included a PIC Bootloader (Windows only - contact DSP4You if you need the file) and the following instructions.

By default the AVB Dongle is loaded a custom firmware with the SPI Bus used by the PIC MCU, it
may cause unable to download the XMOS image to the SPI Flash. The following will disable the
PIC MCU and release the SPI Bus...

1. Short Pin 3 and 4 on the 5 pins headers at the corner of the AVB Dongle (Pin 1 is pin at the
edge of the PCB)
2. Apply power
3. Run the PIC32 Bootloader (PIC32UBL.exe)
4. Select "USB" and change the VID to 0x2752 and PID to 0x0002
5. Click "Connect" then "Erase"
6. With this the PIC will hold in bootload mode which release the SPI Bus and the XMOS will
be able to program through XTAG

This worked for me and it's a one-time procedure... I can flash the boards at will via their XTAG2 interface.