How to use XTAG2 under VMWare player (or workstation)

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
bearcat
Respected Member

How to use XTAG2 under VMWare player (or workstation)

Post by bearcat »

Since xTimeComposer 12+, debugging is not stable (not usable) with Windows XP x32 or x64 for me. V11 and before worked well. While I will move on for my host OS eventually, I needed a solution now. Using an existing Vista box, I verified debugging was stable with Vista x32 at least. While Vista is not my prefered, I have several licenses already, so is a no cost solution.

Loading a VM of Vista, the XTAG2 didn't work inside the VM. I am assuming the firmware loading and rebooting of the XTAG2 was a problem. The VMWare USB quirks didn't work either.

Eventually I figured out how to make this work. VM not running. Start xTimeComposer on the host computer with the XTAG2 connected. I assume the same version as you are using in the VM. This gets the XTAG2 working. Shutdown xTimeComposer on the host. Leave XTAG2 connected. Start the VM, then attach the XTAG2 to the VM. It now works in the VM with xTimeComposer.

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Hi,

Check if the following question in Q&A section solves your issue:
http://www.xcore.com/questions/2106/how ... virtualbox

Sethu.
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

VMware doesn't have that much control over USB devices from configuration.

But using a command line to load the XTAG2, would be easier than starting xTimeComposer. I will try xrun -l.