xTIMEcomposer on MacBook retina display

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
teachop

xTIMEcomposer on MacBook retina display

Post by teachop »

Anybody know how to get fonts in the IDE to render properly on a high resolution Mac Retina display? Other java apps like Arduino are OK. I have tried the Eclipse trick to add to the info.plist:

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
<true/>

And this doesn't solve the issue.

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

You can change the style and size of the font from the following window:
xTIMEcomposer->Preferences->General->Appearance->Color and Fonts->Basic->Text Font- > Edit

Sethu.
teachop

Post by teachop »

Yes. This does not stop the up scaling and resulting blurry fonts. The problem shows up in the entire user interface. This surprised me since other Java desktop programs like Arduino are compatible with the high resolution display on a MacBook Retina. This was a problem for many programs years ago but right now this IDE is the only problem program for me.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

How about the following article (see 2nd suggestion on this webpage) ?

http://4pcbr.com/topic/eclipse_processi ... _fonts_fix
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

It looks good on my display. If you right click, get info. Is "open in low resolution" ticked?
teachop

Post by teachop »

Prior to editing the plist the low resolution box was checked and greyed out. Now it is not greyed out and not checked. I did try all the tricks to get past a cached plist, such as copying the xtimecomposer package and deleting and renaming. No go. For whatever reason something is still deciding to scale up the entire user interface and it looks blurry. Rats. Running on my Mac Mini with external display it is normal, so it is certainly a high resolution retina issue.

Thanks all for helping, perhaps it is because the base Eclipse in xTIMEcomposer goes back to 2010? I would have thought not but am stumped. No biggie I guess.

Sure do like the tools and processor though, and xC too. It is like having an RTOS built in from the hardware up. And exposing the timers, ports, channels in the language, all so nice.
XenoPhoenix

Post by XenoPhoenix »

I can verify that I also have this issue on a Macbook Pro Retina on Mavericks.

I can get the interface to render font sensibly using the "Retinizer" app which basically does the plist/low res tricks for you. However the app then becomes unusable as the "dirty" graphics redraw region logic screws up and only redraws a quarter of the size it should.
demcanulty
New User

Post by demcanulty »

I also recently went through all of these same motions to no avail. Also sometimes xtimecomposer just starts eating up cpu cycles and won't let up, which I think is an Eclipse bug. Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade Eclipse and keep all the xTimeComposer features?
demcanulty
New User

Post by demcanulty »

I switched back to my 2008 MacBook running 10.8.5 64 bit, and no runaway CPU or any other problems so far.
teachop

Post by teachop »

No CPU issue for me on a MacBook Pro retina 2013 late (Mavericks). But I am hooked on the high resolution display and it is a bit of a let down that xTIMEcomposer won't play along. Not a show stopper though, I like these xCore parts.