XMOS Application Examples

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
frido1

XMOS Application Examples

Post by frido1 »

Hello,

I try to work with AN00124 (USB CDC Class as Virtual Serial Port). I use the MFA kit, and so far I don't succeeded to get this application running. Here is a quote from the documentation:

The example code provided with the application has been implemented and tested on the xCORE-USB sliceKIT (XK-SK-U16-ST) but there is no dependancy on this board and it can be modified to run on any development board which uses an xCORE-USB series device.

Is there any documentation on "How to modify XMOS applications to run on any development board"? Maybe with some examples?

Many thanks in advance!

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi frido1. While we do not have the MFA kit, this kit appears to be based on the XS1-USB processor and the referenced AN00124 is applicable. We have the same processor kit (xCORE-USB sliceKIT) and recall testing the AN00124 with success.

What is the issue you are facing ? Upon compilation of the IP and then attaching the USB cable to your PC - the OS should enumerate the new USB CDC port. Which operating system is being used ? Do post the details on what is the issue.

We recall that the port (under Windows 7 64 bit), would be detected but the device driver would not install. The reason for this fault is that at the time we downloaded this IP, the supplied device driver package for Windows was not signed for use on 64 bit operating systems. Specifically, 64 bit operating systems of Windows must under go Microsoft DTM testing which takes a few days to complete with success. Once the tests pass, then Microsoft grants their signature onto the driver package to allow for the installation on 64 bit operating systems. The irony is that the CDC driver model is a Microsoft creation so there is no issue to allow for this installation. Regardless, no driver signature = no installation on 64 bit operating systems.

See here for a work around for this issue:

http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =microchip

Moving forward, there may be a more current driver package which is signed and from XMOS. Check around the website for such a download. Also, if developing a custom design, it may be more practical on your BOM costs and PCB design to consider the new XC200 series which integrate USB and/or Ethernet & USB on a single processor and priced at lower price points. The XC200 also have additional internal enhancements. We also recall testing the CDC port application on the XCORE-200 Explorer kit with success.

Hope this helps.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

I think just replacing the XN file should get up up and running.
frido1

Post by frido1 »

Thanks for your answers. This problem is solved, see my other post:
https://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 441#p20441