XPC

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
narutoxela

XPC

Post by narutoxela »

Version: 0.01
License: Custom Licence

Just an idea about a computer based on XMOS chips, probably G4's. It would have multiple I/O like USB, Ethernet etc..., a screen controller (output by VGA, DVI(if possible) or even direct control of an LCD) and also a kernel capable of loading programs from an SD card and executing it on an available core (It could have multiple chips for alot of multitasking). But it's just an idea... So I am asking you if its a good idea and if I shoud do it!
Alex

phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

I think it's a great idea. Have you seen the amiga x1000 ? It has an XS1-L1 chip in it to compliment the main CPU on the board already.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

This project might be of your interest:
http://archive.xmoslinkers.org/node/319
narutoxela

Post by narutoxela »

@phalt : Thanks! And yes i did see the amiga x1000, but i was thinking about using xmos chips as the main CPU.

@Bianco : Thank you for showing this to me, it is very interesting, must look at the XGC board (My project may be created allready?)

Anyway's thanks for the replies, I am still in school so i do not have alot of time for this project... so an ETA on the completion of my project is... in a long while at least...
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

You should have a look at this video from XMOS channel "Developping a Parallel computer for under $50"

http://www.xmos.com/videos#WgXefMKkzTw
narutoxela

Post by narutoxela »

Well... looks like my project was created already... Should i still try to make it?
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Hi narutoxela,
you have the choice either to reproduce it and enhance it, or create your own the way you want it to be.
In either cases, it will be still an enriching experience.

As enhancements you can:
- add ethernet connectivity, (check also Amino project)
- add USB connectivity (maybe replace the PS2 with USB and implement USB host)
- create a better operating system that can load dynamically processes (have a look at "tool_sire" in github https://github.com/xcore)
- add buffered connectivity to your PC on some ports to let users connect power circuitery or to connect easily 5V devices and sensors
- implement better VGA graphics rendering maybe using onboard ram
there are so manything you can implement en enhance ;)
If you do all that (will take a lot of time and work), for sure you'll be mastering XMOS dev tools and technologies :)
aortiz557
Member++

Post by aortiz557 »

just posted up some code for driving a ks0108 lcd if you need a simple output device for development