XArduino - A co-processor for Arduino boards

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
TonyD
XCore Addict

XArduino - A co-processor for Arduino boards

Post by TonyD »

Hi All,

I've just started a new project XArduino which is a XMOS XS1 L1 co-processor for the Arduino open-source electronics prototyping platform.

The XArduino board provides Arduino applications with a 400 MIP’s 32-bit co-processor, as well as providing a VGA video output and PS/2 keyboard/mouse input for Arduino application. The Ardunio board will interface with the XS1 through either a SPI or serial interface.

It features a standard XTAG-2 to for programming and debugging. In addition the XTAG-2 interface will allow for XK-1 boards to access the VGA and PS/2 interfaces as well as way of connecting standard Arduino shields.

Note: This is a 3.3V-only board
xarduino.jpg
xarduino.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
xarduino.jpg
xarduino.jpg (40.12 KiB) Viewed 7939 times

shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Bitchen!
johanar

Post by johanar »

Sounds like a fun project, but out of curiosity, can't you just get rid of the Arduino and use the XMOS for everything?
BrianMiller

Post by BrianMiller »

johanar wrote:Sounds like a fun project, but out of curiosity, can't you just get rid of the Arduino and use the XMOS for everything?
I understand excatly where you're coming from :D, but this project would make a nice introduction to the Xcore for all those arduino folks out there.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

johanar wrote:...can't you just get rid of the Arduino and use the XMOS for everything?
Sure, you don't need a Arduino board to use XArduino, you can program it for your own needs and use existing Arduino shields for expansion. The only thing missing will be the analog inputs.

You could also connect it a XK-1 (or other XTAG2 compatible board) and give the XK-1 a VGA and keyboard interface or allow the XK-1 access to Arduino shields for expansion but I still need to do some work achieving that.
BrianMiller wrote:...this project would make a nice introduction to the Xcore for all those arduino folks out there.
I hope so, the more people developing cool stuff for the XS1 the better for us all as a development community :D.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

NXP has just announced a new ARM development system using the Arduino form-factor. XArdiuno looks like a nice way to interface an ARM to an XMOS chip.

http://ics.nxp.com/support/tools/fez/
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

leon_heller wrote:NXP has just announced a new ARM development system using the Arduino form-factor.
Interestingly they are using Microsoft's .NET Micro Framework on the ARM
errordeveloper

Post by errordeveloper »

I think it would be more reasonable to have a powerfull FLOAT co-processsor rather then anything else ..may be even a 64bit float DSP ..

what do you think?
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Cool project, ok the obvious and most important question how is it meant to be pronounced?

Zaarduino...
Exarduino...

Or some other way :lol:
BrianMiller

Post by BrianMiller »

ex-are-dween-oh

That's my stab at it.