Getting Started with the StarterKit

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
marssystems
Member++

Post by marssystems »

I see - thanks for the clarification.
I've never had any problems with this, as its easily dealt with in software, once the 9-bit word is received.

IraqiGeek
Member++

Post by IraqiGeek »

segher wrote:Yes, the documentation web pages are a pain to navigate.
Yes, given the startkit audience there should be a lot more
beginner documentation.
Yes, the documentation is incomplete in places, and even
contains the occasional error.

But if you haven't read the available documentation, you
do not get to complain about it.

Yes, you need to dive in, read the docs, experiment and
play around with the hardware and software, until something
clicks and you just know in your bones what to do. It's
called "learning".

</rant>
I'm not pointing fingers here. If I was, I wouldn't be taking all the hours I've taken so far to read everything I could find, link to it, and write about the useful bits so others have an easier time finding that info.

All I am looking for now is help in finding documents that fill the blanks. A link or a document name/reference would be a lot more appreciated than stating the obvious.
Last edited by IraqiGeek on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
markey1979
New User

Post by markey1979 »

Thanks......

... At least someone was paying attention.

What is the difference between the ADCx and the "ADC_SAMPLE" pin?

I have to go back and RTFM...
IraqiGeek
Member++

Post by IraqiGeek »

Well, I decided to start a series of blog posts about the XCore at my blog. I already published the first two posts:
I took the liberty to edit my original post to also link to said posts, to save people from having to read through the entirety of this thread.

If anyone is willing/able to help/contribute, I am open to tips, suggestions, and all the help that can be probided :)
marssystems
Member++

Post by marssystems »

The device used on the startkit is a 2-tile 16-logical core device XS1-A16A-128-FB217 from which one tile and the USB interface is dedicated to the debugging interface.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

markey1979 wrote:Thanks......

... At least someone was paying attention.

What is the difference between the ADCx and the "ADC_SAMPLE" pin?

I have to go back and RTFM...
the ADCx pins are the analog input pins. The ADC_SAMPLE pin can be used to synchronize the sampling with regards to an external clock/signal.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

IraqiGeek wrote:Well, I decided to start a series of blog posts about the XCore at my blog. I already published the first two posts:
I took the liberty to edit my original post to also link to said posts, to save people from having to read through the entirety of this thread.

If anyone is willing/able to help/contribute, I am open to tips, suggestions, and all the help that can be probided :)
Please use tile[n] instead of stdcore[n], stdcore is old syntax and deprecated. I see that this has not been updated yet in the latest XC programming guide.
IraqiGeek
Member++

Post by IraqiGeek »

Bianco wrote: Please use tile[n] instead of stdcore[n], stdcore is old syntax and deprecated. I see that this has not been updated yet in the latest XC programming guide.
Thanks! Post edited :)
IraqiGeek
Member++

Post by IraqiGeek »

Continuing the series, I added a very brief introduction to the XCore architecutre:

A general overview of the XCORE architecture

Again, feedback from experienced users, and especially XMOS people would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by IraqiGeek on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

IraqiGeek wrote:Continuing the series, I added a very brief introduction to the XCore architecutre:
Again, feedback from experienced users, and especially XMOS people would be greatly appreciated.
Good work!!

I'm not an experiended user I suppose, but still...

You might want to add a short explanation how the new "Tile" naming convention relates to the "Xcore" convention used in the original document. I.e. Tile==Xcore (or so I believe).

Also, with the XC2 specification I believe it is possible to do a kind of "soft threading" with the combinable and distributable task feature. The architecture document only mentions hardware threads.

It's all very confusing for newbies and my personal main gripe with the current state of documentation.