USB sliceKIT Competition Round 2 - Community Poll

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.

Which project would you like to see created?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:16 pm

An Open Source USB based RGB matrix display control unit for driving modular LED arrays, matrices (Cubes) and presentational displays
31%
High speed USB 16ch logic analyzer and 4ch signal generator built-in 32MB and protocol analyzer for I2C, SPI, CAN
No votes
Embedded motor control test platform for UAV, to stream and record temperature, strain, motor rpm data via USB in real-time
No votes
All in one device including oscilloscope, multimeter, spectrum analyser and function generator with a PC/tablet user interface, over USB
15%
hand mounted library de/indexer a barcode scanner with wifi and touchscreen to update my book db.
No votes
Advanced Multi Axis Force Feedback Joystick controller for car/bike/flight simulation as well with RC Cars or Quadcopters
23%
A USB-based gateway for visual display of 3-D bat vocalization patterns
No votes
"Electronic guitar ADC/DAC/control kit: hex piezo MIDI conversion,gesture whammy, 9DoF MIDI morphing, RGB LED rotary alpha encoders.
No votes
Open Musical Keyboard Platform.LCD/Touch-Screen Interface,GPIO (keys, knobs, buttons),I/O (USB, MIDI),Nonvolatile storage (internal/external)
8%
Real-time controller for industrial grade 6-axis robot with integrated collision detection system
23%

Total votes: 13
DavidW

USB sliceKIT Competition Round 2 - Community Poll

Post by DavidW »

As mentioned in the 'July Competition' thread, 10 'runners up' have been chosen to go into this community poll. The winner of the poll will receive the next USB sliceKIT. The available project ideas for you to choose from are listed above.

Rules
  • Votes are not 'set in stone'. I have enabled the option for you to change your vote at any time if you wish.
  • I am not naming the owners of each project idea BUT, the owners themselves are free to use this thread to advertise/explain which idea is theirs and why they think they should win the USB sliceKIT prize.
  • People should feel free to ask questions on this thread to the project owners, but abuse of a person or their idea will not be tolerated.
  • The poll will run for 7 days.
Good luck to everyone!

tronicgr

Post by tronicgr »

This is about the "Advanced Multi Axis Force Feedback Joystick controller for car/bike/flight simulation as well with RC Cars or Quadcopters" project idea.

Can I place an update here? I just finished my FFB Joystick Steering Wheel prototype today!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uxlPrR2pGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmC9qn_osLc

On the above prototype I use 8-bit microcontroller that has latency 1ms (for comparison Logitech G27 has about 10ms).
IMG_20140703_084042_781.jpg
(1.71 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20140703_084042_781.jpg
(1.71 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20140703_084058_908.jpg
(1.55 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20140703_084058_908.jpg
(1.55 MiB) Not downloaded yet
With the USB slice kit I could make it even lower latency and interface a intergrated AC Servo motor to it, that will provide even more torque and 32bit precision for the force feedback system.

Thanks!

Thanos
wadebrown

Post by wadebrown »

Embedded motor control test platform for UAV, to stream and record temperature, strain, motor rpm data via USB in real-time

Would have been a great aid when we were developing early small UAVs.

wade
mikethe1wheelnut

Post by mikethe1wheelnut »

"Embedded motor control test platform for UAV, to stream and record temperature, strain, motor rpm data via USB in real-time"

Could somebody explain to me how a uav controller based on xcore would be better than the ardupilot? Just more processing power? My appologies for not having done any real research on this.
tshelley
New User

Post by tshelley »

Thank you all for interest in UAV test platform. So great ideas and posts

Here is a little more information. The UAV project has a concept generator idea from a couple of the mechanical engineers in our department www.amrc.co.uk - design group, the ideas was to use CAD & 3D printing techniques, and CFD simulations to build a UAV device which is optimized for weight, 3D printing manufacturing etc... As an electronic engineer they came to me to ask about data and how best to retrieve "all things electronic" about the mechanical 3D printed structure.

The idea behind the test platform was to gather real-world data when the UAV was in flight about many parameters including strain on the 3D printed structure, loading, temperature and speed is validate all the hours spent simulating the design. The USB slice kit seem a neat option to get all this data during flight and then view the results on the ground. The system would dedicate 1 xmos core to each data acquisition task.

To answer mikethe1wheelnut; this system is not there to replace the ardupilot it is really to get enhanced data about the mechanical behavior of the UAV under real-world conditions and compare to the simulation models. The benefit of xmos and the xcore allows deterministic data acquisition which is import when trying to make correlations between data and events.

Many Thanks,

Tim
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Hi everyone,

The poll closed last week, but I was enjoying a nice holiday in Amsterdam and then Frankfurt at the time, so here are the results:

1: Folknology
2: Tronicgr & grzeziek
3: AlexSouza
4: JasonWhiteman

As our winner, Folknology, is a moderator, we think it's only fair that we share the love a bit more and so not only will he receive a USB sliceKIT, but we will also be sending out USB sliceKITs to our two 2nd place finishers; Tronicgr & Grzeziek.

Well done everyone. We'll get these kits sent out ASAP.