xTIMEcomposer 14.2.4 on macOS 10.12 Sierra?

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
aclassifier
Respected Member

xTIMEcomposer 14.2.4 on macOS 10.12 Sierra?

Post by aclassifier »

Is there any risk installing xTIMEcomposer 14.2.4 on macOS (OS X) 10.12 Sierra?

If no problem, why hasn't the Requirements list been updated? (It's called "macOS" now)

And the present JRE, it says "1.6 or later" (with no revert to older version if I get a newer JRE?)

henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi,

I have just upgraded, and I had to install 'legacy java' (Sierra said 'Install this', and I did, and it worked - xSCOPE that is, I haven't tried the rest of the IDE)

Cheers,
Henk
aclassifier
Respected Member

Post by aclassifier »

Ok. Do you know whether XMOS has any plans to go mainstream Java?

And, which component is it that now requires "legacy" Java? Eclipse, xScope etc?
henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

It'll be eclipse.

I guess that the problem with going mainstream is that you suddenly no longer support older versions?
aclassifier
Respected Member

Post by aclassifier »

xTIMEcomposer 14.2.4 (1) now has "Update from eclipse base version 3.6 --> 4.3" and "Integration with eclipse marketplace for installing 3rd party software". That's great, but 4.3 is still seen as an "old version" from June 2013 (2). Going further into the next Eclipse release would have brought Java 8 with it. So it says. Would this have helped?

Or is it the XMOS plug-ins that would require older Java?

I thought that the Java infrastructure was rather good on backwards/forwards compability, I believe by just requiring JRE to be updated to the newest - that was runnable on virtually all old systems?

(1) https://www.xmos.com/download/private/T ... 4.2.4).txt

(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(software)