oscilloscope/bus sniffer

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
aortiz557
Member++

oscilloscope/bus sniffer

Post by aortiz557 »

Version: 0.02
License: GPL
Download: /files/project_builds/glcd flat array.zip

Using some ks0108 lcd's, high speed ADC's, and various glue components. Create a multifunction tool. feature 1 will be an oscilloscope with record to sd card, feature 2 will be a simple bus sniffer e.g. i2c, spi, and uart.
this is just some filler text, the description must be at least 50 words.

nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

any progress aortiz, hope that you are still working in the project (maybe just comment ) :)
aortiz557
Member++

Post by aortiz557 »

so far, the project is still in its infancy. I just finished writing up a driver for the GLCD screens. it's very primitive, at this point it has a framebuffer and simply dumps the whole thing at once into the lcd. some improvements are coming, in the next week i hope to implement some basic drawing functions, character writing functions, and use the framebuffer to update only the differences on the glcd, as opposed to the whole thing. i'll post the draft glcd code in a day or so when i clean it up. The adc's are a problem right now. i have some 40msps ones i plan to use (T.I. ADC12040's), but since they are surface mount i have to wait until i can find a laser printer to help me makes some circuit boards.
aortiz557
Member++

Post by aortiz557 »

i've managed to bork my program. the ks0108 isn't responding correctly anymore. data is being written, but the page isn't being set correctly. having a hard time debugging this, this will probably set me back at least 2 more days.
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

I think I've seen the videos on youtube of the GLCD screen tests - nice work if it is yours!
aortiz557
Member++

Post by aortiz557 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKKQrjY ... DGEsb9GBLG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFwZPRb ... AXT8bCKmH_

i fixed the problem i was having.... switched the register and read/write lines, oops :c ... anyway, after fixing that, optimized the code a litttttle bit. and using a wonderful example from http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~smalik/418/t ... senham.pdf i now have line drawing done. so now i can set pixels, draw lines, and draw rectangles. next up, circles, then some text. then after i finish that i'll wrap it all up into a nice library and release it for everyone else to enjoy :)
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

It's looking really good!

You're progressing really fast, you must be a natural.
aortiz557
Member++

Post by aortiz557 »

released the very first working code. it's not really a library so much as it's a bunch of functions right now. i plan on wrapping it up into a class. i posted a link to my google plus pictures. you'll find some working shots, and some crudely drawn wiring diagrams. (it's 5 in the morning over here, i am very tired!). it works, it's ugly, it has code that i want to rewrite, the not having pointers is making me want to throw my computer. but it works.
mjcross
Member++

Post by mjcross »

can you give a rough indication of the price of the display you are using?

Tks M
aortiz557
Member++

Post by aortiz557 »

these displays are pretty cheap, my favorite supplier for them is http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=862
disclaimer: i don't have any affiliation with them, i just like them.
price is around 15$ for the screen, a lot of other places sell them for less than $20. just as long as it is a k0108 based controller and has a resolution of 128x64, it should work.