Xmos kits and linux

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

** This is required for user access, not root **

Just to note after editing the rules files you need to restart udev,

on ubuntu this is done by the command,

sudo restart udev

The device will need to be unplugged and plugged back in in order to use the new rules.

I am making sure the knowledge base gets updated with this extra information.

daveg
Member++

Post by daveg »

> Doesn't work as root

What does lsusb say with the XTag-2 plugged in? It should show that there is an XMOS device. If it's not showing up there then there's something more fundamentally wrong... (and does the kernel log or dmesg say that it's there when it is plugged in?)
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Matt you beauty, you are truly a miracle worker, I just restarted the udev, disconnected and reconnected the XK1 + Xtag2 and bingo it shows up when I run xrun -l (even without sudo)

Thank you, Thank you..
Last edited by Folknology on Thu May 20, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I notice there are different rules for xtag and xtag2, does that mean they cannot be used concurrently?

i.e. does it mean I have to switch and restart udev when I need to use the XC-2? in other words have 2 different udev files and reload them alternately? Or is there a way to get both working?

Or am I out of luck getting the XC-2 working in the first place becuase of the FTDI issue?
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Xmatt can the rules be combined, or can 2 rules be used simultaneously? I am not familiar with the operation of udev but it would be great to have a unified solution for any xmos kit xtag or xtag2 based?

regards
Al
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Folknology wrote:Xmatt can the rules be combined, or can 2 rules be used simultaneously? I am not familiar with the operation of udev but it would be great to have a unified solution for any xmos kit xtag or xtag2 based?

regards
Al
The rules are fine, they will work simultaneously, when a new device is plugged in all the udev rules files are checked and if one matches it is used.

We have a fix for the FTDI issue and I have logged the bug with their support team, it is apparently with their development team now but it has been 2 weeks since they last replied. If you contact support with the subject "Linux FTDI Library Request" then I will send you the patch for their library. We have not made this officially available on the site as yet as but will support people on a case by case basis due to the nature of the fix we have made, this should then fix your XC-2 issue.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks Matt, you rock..

I have added a second udev rules file /etc/udev/rules.d/98-xmos.rules notice I used 98 to differentiate from the Xtag2 rules. I then removed the XK1+ Xtag, restarted udev and tried to get the XC-2 up using all of the normal power tricks but it would not show up. Thus I presume I need the FTDI patch as you mention

I already have a ticket #1718 can you use this, or do I need to create a new one?

What does the FTDI fix involve?

regards
Al
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Folknology wrote:Thanks Matt, you rock..

I have added a second udev rules file /etc/udev/rules.d/98-xmos.rules notice I used 98 to differentiate from the Xtag2 rules. I then removed the XK1+ Xtag, restarted udev and tried to get the XC-2 up using all of the normal power tricks but it would not show up. Thus I presume I need the FTDI patch as you mention

I already have a ticket #1718 can you use this, or do I need to create a new one?

What does the FTDI fix involve?

regards
Al
Just replied, the fix is a patch to the ftdi supplied library we use. It is not an official patch from FTDI but we need something to get customers such as yourself working until they release an official version.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I just wanted to finish this thread off on a positive note

Thank you everyone that helped, even if it was just sympathies in some cases..

But a massive thanks to Matt you are a rockstar and make Xmos look good

I just received the patch in response to my ticket installed it and it worked first time, I can now see my XC-2 with xrun -l

It would be worth adding a link at the end of this thread pointing to the amended Knowledgebase fix for the issues experienced here when it is updated/available.

Thanks and regards
Al

Update here is the knowledgebase article
Last edited by Folknology on Thu May 20, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Is Ubuntu working now ? (Have not read all text)

I just remembered that "skoe" wrote that he run XDE 10.4 on Ubuntu 10.4 in the IRC.

If it works - could you create a little Ubuntu installation in tutorials here so it's easy for others to follow that doesn't eat Linux code for breakfast, please. 8-)
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.