Xmos kits and linux

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
kster59
XCore Addict

Post by kster59 »

I have no complaints about the correctness of command line tools under Windows. They work fine.

My only complaints are with the Eclipse IDE. Visual Studio's intellisense (Qt creator has something similar) and automatic syntax checking makes programming much more efficient and bug free than typing into notepad with not even color syntax.

99% of my embedded apps I intend to sell to customers talk to a Windows host computer since 100% of my end customers use Windows.

If XMOS had a better IDE on Linux than Windows, I would compile and load the program on the Linux machine (well probably a VMware session) and connect the kit to a Windows machine for debugging. I have no OS loyalties. I do whatever it takes to be more efficient and my suggestion is the same.

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

I must also state here that despite my occasional constructive criticisms of Xmos and their tools ;-) I whole heartedly applaud their multi platform strategy, it opens their technology to a wider audience and shows a greater commitment to their expanding customer base and community. I am also in awe of their contributions to the wealth and prosperity of the commons not only by building on OS tools, but by actively contributing back source to the very tools on which they are built. In particular I think that their commitment to a fully open source tool chain, sets an example to many of their narrower thinking competitors and peers. I believe these actions will likely pay large dividends to Xmos in the longer term as their community grows with their incremental achievements. I for one will likely help them in any way I can by testing and contributing code back not just with the toolchain but also with the application code building on their product. I know they are in the process of building code repositories that we can all contribute to, giving benefits for all. I have already offered my support to help them in this endeavour because I feel passionately about the technology and community, I also know for a fact that there are many others who feel the same way inside Xcore.

End of speech :D
regards
Al
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Folknology: Well said.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

kster59 wrote: My only complaints are with the Eclipse IDE. Visual Studio's intellisense (Qt creator has something similar) and automatic syntax checking makes programming much more efficient and bug free than typing into notepad with not even color syntax.
Automagical syntax checking is now available in the new 10.4 tools. :D
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.