xTime Composer macOS

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
joechirp
New User

xTime Composer macOS

Post by joechirp »

When trying to run the xTime composer app on macOS 10.14.3 I get the following error.

Anyone have any ideas? It looks like it requires Java 5 to run, but this is ancient...

!SESSION 2019-03-13 17:00:25.745 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=I20080702-1800
java.version=9.0.4
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_GB
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/joetodd/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/joetodd/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2019-03-13 17:00:26.528
!MESSAGE Startup error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundleActivator.start() of bundle org.eclipse.osgi.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.InternalSystemBundle.resume(InternalSystemBundle.java:233)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.launch(Framework.java:656)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(EclipseStarter.java:275)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:636)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:591)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1450)
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundleActivator.start() of bundle org.eclipse.osgi.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:734)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:683)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.InternalSystemBundle.resume(InternalSystemBundle.java:225)
... 10 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The System Bundle could not be resolved: Missing Constraint: Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: J2SE-1.5
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.BaseStorage.checkSystemState(BaseStorage.java:827)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.BaseStorage.getStateManager(BaseStorage.java:800)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.BaseAdaptor.getState(BaseAdaptor.java:387)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.BaseStorage.frameworkStart(BaseStorage.java:923)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.BaseAdaptor.frameworkStart(BaseAdaptor.java:250)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundleActivator.start(SystemBundleActivator.java:60)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(BundleContextImpl.java:711)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:702)
... 12 more

MisterHemi

Post by MisterHemi »

I'm also running MacOS 10.14.3 and if I remember correctly I did have to install the older version of Java.
joechirp
New User

Post by joechirp »

Did you just set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to version 5 to configure it to use this version?

Thanks
Wavelength
Experienced Member

Post by Wavelength »

I am having the same problem, where do you set the JAVA_HOME environment variable?
Thanks,
Gordon
Wavelength Audio, ltd.
joechirp
New User

Post by joechirp »

I'm struggling to even find a place to get a copy of Java 5. Anyone know where to get this from these days?
Cheers
Joe
MuellerNick
Member++

Post by MuellerNick »

Java 5 for MacOS is not available. Java 5 was in the responsibility of Apple. But then, they gave up on the constant changes by Oracle and put the whole responsibility over to Oracle.
And from then on, you got that catch 22. Oracle doesn't have a version 5 for MacOS and Apple no longer supports version 5.

Nick
max
New User

Post by max »

I can't run xTimeComposer either. Is there anyone can run it on macOS Mojave?

My environments:
macOS Mojave (Version 10.14.6),

Java version "1.8.0_161"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b12, mixed mode)

When I open xTimeComposer, I got this message box:
"To open xtimecomposer.app, you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime."

I don't think we can download and install Java 6 nowadays.

If you have a similar environment, please share how you run xTimeComposer, thank you very much.

Max