When will there be SliceKits available?

Non-technical related questions should go here.
MuellerNick
Member++

When will there be SliceKits available?

Post by MuellerNick »

Hi!

I'd like to have a xCORE-200 sliceKIT. xmos does list it on their page, but DigiKey lists it as obsolete.
You could get slice kits with the XS-1, but I'd prefer the XE216 (or any from the 200 series).
So how long do I have to wait? Will there ever be again something as flexible and general as the slice kits?

My application is so far away from all the audio stuff that I really don't intend investing any money in it.

So any plans? Any schedule? Or did xmos quit that market completely?

Nick

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. If it helps, found some stock of another XCORE-200 based kit:

XK-EVK-XE216 @ Newark / Farnell with stock in the UK

https://www.newark.com/xmos/xk-evk-xe21 ... S%2Fsearch

However, this kit will not allow for mating with the assorted XMOS slice kits for R&D.

Future has a listing for this kit as well but no stock. Contact them for a best lead time:

https://www.futureelectronics.com/searc ... SK-X200-ST

We can also ping our rep if you wish to ask about this kit.

One more item of concern...in the internet searches, finding lots of "stock" in Asia / HK / China. DO NOT fall for these scams. We have reported many of these suppliers to the proper agencies and almost fell victim to one of them during a search for another component. The vendor claimed to be having offices in the UK and Sweden with a physical address that did not exist. Phone access = SKYPE only. Payment to an account in HK in Mongkok - been there and contacted the bank who of course wanted to protect the privacy of their clients. Scammers! If it sounds too good to be true, it is. You may also find that many of these bogus websites will hard-code the inventory level for the respective webpage.

Contact XMOS for an official status on this kit but as of this writing it does not appear to be EOL. Just the same, do know that XMOS has a focus on audio and no longer for general purpose CPU replacement.
MuellerNick
Member++

Post by MuellerNick »

Thanks.

The slice kit would be the best fit, as it is easier to add my own boards and to chain to other old xmos dev boards I have.
And a lead time of 8 weeks also doesn't help that much.

And no, I'd never order at "companies" I don't know. Preferably at Mouser or DigiKey where we do have an account or even better companies that do sell to private persons.
do know that XMOS has a focus on audio and no longer for general purpose CPU replacement.
So not just the boards, but also the µC will fade out? No more XE2xx in the future? No successors to be expected?

Nick
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. Received confirmation from XMOS that the kit is not EOL. No mention that the silicon is EOL. Just out of stock at this time. They are checking on the lead time.
Gothmag
XCore Addict

Post by Gothmag »

It's sort of a tough situation. Many of their products are not carried by mainstream vendors, and sometimes when they are you are required to order a large quantity which is annoying for prototypes. Years ago when I started using XMOS products I thought it'd get better. There have been ups and downs but largely the situation is unchanged. Now with the shift to XVF silicon I wonder if X(E, L, U)200 parts are going to see a further decline in availability.
MuellerNick
Member++

Post by MuellerNick »

From my point of view, that's quite a bad signal.
When developing hardware, you also check for availability of the silicon you chose. And if there is just one distributor, or not most of the mainstream distributors do carry that product, it is already a alarm signal. And if you see that there is no stock available and lead times are 8 weeks, that will stear you away.

The multi-core µCs do have their place and will run circles around ARMs. Programming is quite simple with the language extensions to C. So it is a great product with lots of potential!

But xmos is giving wrong signals to the ones that are responsible for a long term product that can be actually produced.

That's just my opinion, but I think I'm not alone. I'd be glad if xmos would re-think their marketing strategy.

Nick
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Have word from XMOS that the inventory ran out and a new batch build for this slicekit is being initiated but do not know the ETA at this time. Will post back once this is known.
MuellerNick
Member++

Post by MuellerNick »

Thanks for the resonse, mon2!

Dug out an other xmos board, a XC-2 V2.0. But that isn't supported by the current xtimecomposer. Oh well ...
All the boards I have, do have just 8 cores, and that isn't enough. Will have to break the code apart and test tasks seperately.

Nick
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Dear All,
mon2 contacted Xmos and asked for some clarity on EOL plans etc. Paul Neil - Vice President, Marketing and Product Management has provided the following info:
The XMOS longevity program assures continuity and stability of supply for our customers. Our policy is to continue to manufacture devices for as long as our customers continue to buy them and for as long as the relevant silicon technology is available.

We use mainstream technologies from industry leading manufacturing partners like TSMC and Global Foundries to enable us to provide a broad range of products to the industrial, automotive and medical segments, for a minimum period of 15 years.

For all other market segments in which XMOS participates, we will make a broad range of devices available for a minimum period of 10 years. This includes the xCORE-200 family of devices.

The XMOS End-of-Life notification policy includes a one-year notice for placement of final orders and an additional year until the last ship date.
Finally, Paul said:
I can provide the community with reassurance that XMOS has no intention of obsoleting the xCORE-200 family of devices.
MuellerNick
Member++

Post by MuellerNick »

Thank you infiniteimprobability for the clarification!
Most welcome!

Nick