Multichannel USB soutions and audio drivers

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
mattb

Multichannel USB soutions and audio drivers

Post by mattb »

Have a couple hopefully simple questions I need some guidance on. I'm evaluating using a XE216-based solution to develop a multichannel-in, multichannel-out device for recording.
  • For Windows, my understanding is that if we want multichannel support (i.e. more than 2), then we need a custom ASIO driver, as the new Windows 10 USB 2.0 built-in driver won't cut it for multichannel. Is this correct?
  • It seems like XMOS kind of recommends we work with Thesycon for this driver as they do have one, and it's also what your dev kit uses. Are there other vendors out there, or is Thesycon really the only one?
  • What about on the OS X side (Thesycon is only Windows IIRC). Do we need to have a custom driver of sorts to work with multichannel audio, or does the built-in CoreAudio stuff work for your multi-channel solutions inherently?
Thanks for the info!

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. This webpage has some of the information you are after:

https://www.xmos.com/software/usb-audio/driver-support/
RitchRock
XCore Addict

Post by RitchRock »

mattb wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:17 pm Have a couple hopefully simple questions I need some guidance on. I'm evaluating using a XE216-based solution to develop a multichannel-in, multichannel-out device for recording.
  • For Windows, my understanding is that if we want multichannel support (i.e. more than 2), then we need a custom ASIO driver, as the new Windows 10 USB 2.0 built-in driver won't cut it for multichannel. Is this correct?
  • It seems like XMOS kind of recommends we work with Thesycon for this driver as they do have one, and it's also what your dev kit uses. Are there other vendors out there, or is Thesycon really the only one?
  • What about on the OS X side (Thesycon is only Windows IIRC). Do we need to have a custom driver of sorts to work with multichannel audio, or does the built-in CoreAudio stuff work for your multi-channel solutions inherently?
Thanks for the info!
For Windows, I've had success using ASIO4ALL when using the device to multi-track record and playback into a DAW. The buffer does need to be set somewhat high or else you can get audio problems. I've had limited success with using the built-in Windows UAC 2.0 drivers (also built by Thesycon) - try changing between implicit / explicit feedback to see if it helps your particular design. The XMOS documentation was written before Windows 10 had this built-in UAC 2.0 driver.

OSX plays very nicely and is completely class compliant - no drivers needed.
Wavelength
Experienced Member

Post by Wavelength »

Matt,

Windows 10 UAC2 only does stereo out right now at least that what the Audio Group told me last time I talked to them. Ritch, Thesycon did not write the Windows 10 driver. Microsoft did that in house, but as always the person that wrote was moved to a different group. Do not understand why they do that. So I don't know if it will move ahead or not. Before Bala left the Audio Group he said he was finishing up two channel in support but I will have to ask Nick if that ever happened.

I have not tried the Centrance or Ploytec drivers, though I do know both developers. The Thesycon was the original driver XMOS used back in the beginning. I have used these for stereo output and 8 channel output and stereo in and out. They seem to work well.

Now I just wish I could get some support to figure out my development problems.

Thanks,
Gordon
Wavelength Audio, ltd.
AlexAdvice
XCore Addict

Post by AlexAdvice »

Wavelength wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:07 pm Windows 10 UAC2 only does stereo out right now at least that what the Audio Group told me last time I talked to them. Ritch, Thesycon did not write the Windows 10 driver.
I'm personally use Win7, but as I know, Win10' driver is made by Thesycon.
And yes, it works with 8 PCM channels.