AN00136

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

How did you dump the USB descriptors? Using the TheSyscon USB tool?

I would like to do the same and share the output.

Can you take quality pix of your kits and post them here?

How long ago did you source the kits? Wondering if there is a PCBA issue from the supplier as you have mentioned that 2 kits are behaving in the same manner.

My kit is working fine but was purchased a few years ago.

Assuming that you purchased these kits new? Reaching here but still thinking this could be a USB phy issue and local to your kits. As long as the kits are "factory fresh" without any outside modifications, the posted .xe file has to work.

BTW - my mouse test is on Windows 10 but any Windows will do. Not sure on Linux. The fact the VID and PID are not correct is concerning.

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Are you in the US? Would you like to phone me - am at the office for a few more minutes.

Using the descriptor tool to dump the WORKING MOUSE IP will be more challenging than being on American Ninja - the square mouse pattern will not allow for the use of the mouse!!

Will need to recode the source code tomorrow to kill the mouse action and THEN can use the USB Descriptor DUMP tool :)
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. The posted USB descriptor dump is for the tiny circuit board that is mated with the xcore-200 kit.

This is the dump of the XTAG3 circuit board,

Code: Select all

VID = 0x20b1, PID = 0xf7d4 ; this is NOT your HID mouse
If you are attempting to read/write over USB to the XTAG3, then the results of the timeout make sense.

In the toolchain, goto left side panel marked as Examples. Then in the search bar, enter xcore-200 and the examples for this kit will be listed. Double click on the GPIO example which after execution, will light up the onboard led when the USER button is pressed (do not press the RESET button as the uploaded custom code is SRAM will halt / erase).

Try this first and confirm it works.

Ignore the raised USB errors for the XTAG3 dump. The reason being that the XMOS XTAG3 is a very tightly knit clever hack to squeeze in the tool inside a small CPU so some corners have been cut and respectively not fully USB spec compliant.

Your widget should not be with such errors.

Be sure that your "Run as" option is set to the XTAG3 ID displayed in the list. That is, you can run your code in the simulator or target hardware. You want the target hardware which means the xcore-200 cpu. The communication for this upload of your custom firmware (mouse code, gpio led blinky, etc.) will be from the host PC to the XTAG3 tool which will then write into the sram of the CPU on the xcore-200 kit.

Start with the gpio led test code and post your results.
Elmodriver

Post by Elmodriver »

When I try to download the GPIO code the download seems to take 30 seconds and then it fails with:

"xrun: First stage multi-node boot failed, please check XN file and Xmos link connectivity

Error: F03013 Failed to run : 008AEC3C."

This happened on a previous XCORE-200 and it then wouldn't load anything that it used to, so I replaced the board with this one.

I am obviously dead for a while. Do I need to order a third board, or is there a fix?

Please realize I am using the "tiny board" not only to down load the .xe, but also because I get nothing out of J5 when connected to a host.

In the mean time if you would like, I can, now that I know how, send another post attaching my .xe of AN00136 and AN00129, as well as the linux version of Bulktest and a python version, that seems to give more diagnostics when it fails.

I am working from home due to covid, but I do have a scope here if that helps.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Can you move your kit to a Windows box?

Please attach the 2 USB cables - one onto the HS USB port (not the power port) + XTAG3 on your kit (second cable).

Then install and launch Teamviewer (personal free edition). Send me a private message with the login details for the generated ID and password. Can try to remotely access the xtimecomposer to confirm the tools are installed ok.

You should be able to run the GPIO test and then can move onto the mouse HID IP.

Let me know if that works for you. We are on EST time and in the office till 6 PM.
Elmodriver

Post by Elmodriver »

I think I have narrowed the problem down to the fact that I can't make the usb port on the XCORE-200 EXPLORER work, and that most of my problems come from my use of the card attached to the XCORE-200 used to download as the usb port. The responses I get are from that card, which also uses USB, rather than from my code in the X_CORE-200. While I have mentioned this situation in previous posts, I need to know exactly why the usb-port in the XCORE isn't working. In the meantime, as I mentioned in my previous, not yet approved, post, my second XCORE-200 also died, won't accept any code. If there is any way I can recover the use of it sort of replacing the XMOS chip, I could continue on. I have the capability of replacing the chip but it would be a big delay. If someone could actually test my setup with AN00136, then we could resolve this. Setup is lib-Usb 3.1.2, XCORE-200 EXPLORER, AN00136, both for xmos and host. None of that is my work, all from XMOS. This project is to the point where we have to change hardware solutions if I can't get this working.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi.

1) yes, replacing the main XMOS chip on your kit is certainly an option to consider. There is a metal belly underside the XMOS CPU but with the proper tools, should be possible to replace.

2) before concluding that the XCORE-200 kit is defective, test and post your results for:

a) the XMOS GPIO demo - after the upload of this code to your kit, press the USER button - does the LED enable as per the demo?

b) only if the above is working, then consider to test with the XMOS HID mouse again

Test these ideas with both kits. Is the main CPU getting very warm to the touch?