Easiest way to generate clock for XU208

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
kalinowski

Easiest way to generate clock for XU208

Post by kalinowski »

Hello everyone,

I'm currently designing my first simple breakout board with XU208. I have no experience with working with any uC other than STM32 family so I was surprised by the fact I can't just put a simple crystal in there and make it work.

The proper question is: what is the easiest way to generate clock for XU208 so that it can talk over USB (12MHz or 24MHz needed if I read the datasheet correctly).

I've done some search on the forum and found that people use PL611. Is there any other way? I'm trying to stick to the parts that available at JLC assembly service so that others can easily replicate the board once I'm done with it.

Many thanks,
Michal

CousinItt
Respected Member

Post by CousinItt »

An integrated crystal oscillator is probably the simplest thing to use. For example see Abracon ASFL1-24.000MHZ-L-T. There are plenty of alternatives out there.
kalinowski

Post by kalinowski »

Thank you both, that was very helpful. I will carry on with my design and report back if I have any other questions.

For posterity (and for noobs like me): XMOS needs an crystal oscillator, not a bare quartz resonator. To find one in JLC parts library you should search for "OSCILLATORS(XO) 24MHZ".