XTC Tools - IDE Debugging?

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
AndyCap
Member++

XTC Tools - IDE Debugging?

Post by AndyCap »

Hi Guys,

I have an ai explorer board here and to seems like xTIMEcomposer has been retired and replaced by XTC Tools.

The documentation seems to say that there is no IDE integration for xgdb, I have tried getting it going with --interpreter=mi but have had no luck getting eclipse or vscode to use xgdb.

Is this just not possible?

I have spent too much time in the distant past with a terminal and GDB prompt, the idea of doing it again fills me with horror!

Cheers

Andy

fabriceo
XCore Addict

Post by fabriceo »

Hi AndyCap;
I m using xgdb in the xtimecomposer (14.3.3) for XU316 evaluation kit and I m very happy with it. if you are transitioning from xs1/xs2 to xs3 this is probably the easiest way. if you are new to xs3 then it might make sense to follow the official guideline around xtc 15, vscode, cli and so forth...

I hope xmos will keep some backward compatibility of the tool chain (especially setenv.sh PATHs and xcommon makefile) so we could continue using Eclipse based IDE... let see
AndyCap
Member++

Post by AndyCap »

Hi Fabriceo,

Thanks for the reply.

I have managed to get the 15.1.4 toolchain working in xTimeComposer, including debugging which is good. HDPI displays are not working too well here though so I have had to set the resolution right down.

I'm hoping that XMOS put some effort into debugger integration into more modern versions of eclipse to integrate the debugger properly.
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

Hi AndyCap,

can you give some information how you got the xTimeComposer to use the 15.1.4 toolchain?
AndyCap
Member++

Post by AndyCap »

I was just posting the simple steps to get this working and looked at my installation to check what I was posting and it doesn't make sense.

I have just had a large meal and lots of booze though, so my brain is probably not perfect.

I have set a reminder for tomorrow morning to get this info for you, I will just be dealing with a hangover then...
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

I'm already looking forward to tomorrow. Have nice day!
AndyCap
Member++

Post by AndyCap »

Hi,

Ok my brain has started working.

I downloaded XTC from https://www.xmos.ai/software-tools/

I then copied all the contents into the xtimecomposer directory overwriting any files. (make a backup first!)

Im not sure if I edited the SetEnv file but here is what I have:

#!/bin/bash

# If you wish to alter the path set change the install path variable below

export XMOS_TOOL_PATH=$PWD
export installpath=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH # Deprecated, please use XMOS_TOOL_PATH
export XMOS_HOME=$HOME/.xmos
export PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/bin:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/xtimecomposer_bin:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export XCC_C_INCLUDE_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/target/include:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/target/include/clang
export XCC_XC_INCLUDE_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/target/include/xc:$XCC_C_INCLUDE_PATH
export XCC_CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$XCC_C_INCLUDE_PATH:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/target/include/c++/v1
export XCC_ASSEMBLER_INCLUDE_PATH=$XCC_C_INCLUDE_PATH
export XCC_LIBRARY_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/target/lib
export XCC_DEVICE_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/configs:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/configs/.deprecated
export XCC_TARGET_PATH=$XMOS_HOME/targets:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/targets:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/targets/.deprecated
export XCC_EXEC_PREFIX=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/libexec/
export XMOS_DOC_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/doc
export PYTHON_HOME="$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/lib/jython"
export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/lib/python
export PYTHON_VERBOSE="warning"
export XMOS_CACHE_PATH=$XMOS_HOME/cache
export XMOS_REPO_PATH=$XMOS_HOME/repos
export XMOS_MAKE_PATH=${XMOS_TOOL_PATH// /\\ }/build
export XCC_EFM32GG_C_INCLUDE_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/emlib/inc:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/Device/EnergyMicro/EFM32GG/Include/:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/CMSIS/Include/:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/XMOS/inc
export XCC_EFM32GG_XC_INCLUDE_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/emlib/inc:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/Device/EnergyMicro/EFM32GG/Include/:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/CMSIS/Include/:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/XMOS/inc
export XCC_EFM32GG_CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/emlib/inc:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/Device/EnergyMicro/EFM32GG/Include/:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/CMSIS/Include/:$XMOS_TOOL_PATH/arm_toolchain/arm-none-eabi/opt/XMOS/inc
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

Thanks for sharing. I will try it until I have fixed an tricky error in my project.
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

BTW I think, the HDPI display issues can be fixed by tweaking the CSS of the eclipse theme. Unfortunately, I haven't found any useful infos, how to do that.
AndyCap
Member++

Post by AndyCap »

I ended up going back to HDPI and just using the tiny icons, everything else works ok.

I did try various ideas from the internet to enlarge the icons but nothing worked.