Port Declaration and Power - XC-1A

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
rp181
Respected Member

Port Declaration and Power - XC-1A

Post by rp181 »

I am using a GPS unit with its' TX connected to XSD17. Would this translate to XS1_PORT_1J ?

Also, I made the Shield for my helicopter project, but i think it is drawing to much power. With the GPS (draws 44 ma) connected to the board, the bottom LED of the XC-1A does not light up when you connect the USB cable. The GPS LED stay lit. However, If i plug in the GPS after i plug in the USB, then the board LED and the GPS LED stays on. How much can the board rails supply with USB supply?

http://rp181.fortscribe.com/?p=520

Scroll down for the pic of XMOS + Shield.

paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

rp181 wrote:I am using a GPS unit with its' TX connected to XSD17. Would this translate to XS1_PORT_1J ?
Not quite sure what you mean by XSD17 - but if you mean something like XnD17 where n is a core number then that is not a 1 bit port it is part of the 4, 8 or 16 bit ports. I would recommend you look at the G4 data sheet for a table and (more specifically) the XC-1A hardware manual - both available from http://www.xmos.com/documentation
rp181 wrote:Also, I made the Shield for my helicopter project, but i think it is drawing to much power. With the GPS (draws 44 ma) connected to the board, the bottom LED of the XC-1A does not light up when you connect the USB cable. The GPS LED stay lit. However, If i plug in the GPS after i plug in the USB, then the board LED and the GPS LED stays on. How much can the board rails supply with USB supply?
The USB specification states that devices shouldn't be drawing more than 500ma. If you are running the G4 hard plus peripheral devices on the XC-1A then you might be pushing over this limit - not sure about the odd LED lights though.

I would recommend using an external power source using the provided barrel connector on the XC-1A.

Hope that helps,
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Oops, yes, i mean X3D17.

I thought that any IO pin culd be configured as 1-bit port. Is this possible? Otherwise, could I just 'extract' the bit?
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

No, you cannot use part of a 4/8/16 bit port as a 1 bit port. The table's in the datasheet should be fairly clear as to which ports overlap and thus can be used in the various configurations.

You can "extract" it, but it has to be done manually using OR's, AND's and SHIFT's etc...

Regards,
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Ok, so I decided to try and use the 8 bit port as it is. This is what i came up with:

Does anyone see anything wrong with this (WIP)? Particulary the 8 bit mask part. My plan was have a thread convert the 8 bit value into 8 1bit values, and output these into their respective channels.

Is there a limited amount of channels on a core? Think i read about that somewhere...
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Hi rp181

How about the following alternate port arrangements:

Use the 1st 1 bit port as the GPS Rx/Tx
Use the other 3 x 1 bits ports for SPI :- MOSI/MISO/CLK
Use the 1st nibble for the SPI chip selects
Use the 2nd nibble for the I2C signals (single or multiple channels).

This breaks up the threads and port processing into nice logical modules. It could also be used generically to drive a number of SPI (4) or I2C (many) peripherals. Its would be handy for other projects also I would imagine, a more generic expansion shield.

Just an idea

regards
Al
Last edited by Folknology on Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

That sounds like a great setup. I was stuck on using the 8 bit port and a 8 bit rather than 2 4 bit. That gets everything in one expansion port rather than two (Which means I can move to the 144 pin package vs the 512 pin).
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

This Xlinkers project may also be of interest for you :

http://archive.xmoslinkers.org/node/161

Regards
Al