XC-2 demo application won't run

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

XC-2 demo application won't run

Post by leon_heller »

Has anyone managed to get the XC-2 demo application to work? The application supplied with the board runs from flash memory without any problems, but when I build the code with the 10.4.2 tools and run it from RAM I get the following run-time error after the flashing LEDs:

Atmel:1F440100INFO: Ethernet Rx Server init..

INFO: Ethernet Rx Server started..
Using Dynamic IP config
Using dynamic ip
dhcp_init
if down
link up
uIP log message: ip: invalid version or header length.
uIP log message: ip: invalid version or header length.
ipv4ll: 169.254.42.23
if up: 169.254.42.23

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Well i once had trouble compiling the ethernet example on one version of the tools, also for what i know the example uses the flash to store the webpage, so if you overwritten the flash it might have problems because of that.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I haven't overwritten the flash memory, I'm loading the program directly into RAM for testing. Will it only run properly when loaded from flash memory?
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

As far as i know i ran the new version of the TCP/IP web server example from ram and it was fine. Try the old and new versions of it and see if it makes a difference.

Also how does it respond to the outside like opening it in the browser or pinging it?
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Thanks, Berni.

I only know of one version of the demo software source code, in TCP_IP Stack (1.3).zip, which is the one that doesn't work. Perhaps the version in flash which works is an old version, but I don't have the source code for it.

The code downloaded into RAM just isn't recognised when I open the web page in Firefox, unlike the code loaded from flash.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

After some googleing i came up with this:
https://www.xmos.com/accept-download?co ... MwLnppcA==

It seams to be the old TCP/IP source code that still uses the lvIP stack. (It might be the same code that ships in the XC-2s flash chip)
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Thanks, but that doesn't build with the current tools:

xmake[2]: *** [obj/xcore_tcpip.o] Error 1
xmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
xmake[1]: Leaving directory `c:/Users/Leon/workspace/webserver/webserver'
xmake: *** [all] Error 2

The code looks similar to the newer code I've been using. I suppose I could try it with an earlier version of the tools, but I'd rather get the current software working. That builds OK, at any rate.

I raised a support ticket on Friday about the problems I'm having, but no-one has responded.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

On OSX, I do get some errors that I'm able to ignore. When I build app_simple_webserver.1v3, modules ethernet, xmos_common, and xtcp all show a red X and the console shows that make all is missing.

I have not traced this, but I seem to end up with a .xe anyway, which I'm able to load to ram and run.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

It comes with a binary, perhaps you were running that. I've tried running the binary it came with, but I can't stop the project being rebuilt and the original binary being over-written.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

No. There's no mistake on this.

I made several changes to the source, and did some debugging. I spent a day tweaking both the simple and the v2 apps. And since then I have replaced the completed xhttpd internals on the simple server with a client that connects to a separate server. Code for that is on github.

I also have flashed various different versions of fresh code. So I'm absolutely certain this is working for me.

Is it worth trying the earlier version of the dev kit? I suspect there is a redefinition of something basic that is being referenced by one of the modules.

Best,
--r