What are you doing with XMOS chips ?

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
octal
XCore Addict

What are you doing with XMOS chips ?

Post by octal »

Hello,
1- I just wanted to know what kind of commercial products have you produced or are you working on as a commercial product using XMOS chips?

2- What are you using XMOS chips for? are you using XMOS chips as main processors or as peripheral (controller) co-processor?

russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

I'm using three L1's for an amplify/filter/adc/compressor board that sends 4 channels of accelerometer data at up to 100kHz to a BigData (Cassandra/Hadoop) farm on the network.

This is the layout I'm sending to the fab. Image Click it to see more detail. .

TCP/IP interface is handled by a PIC32 that hangs on the left connector. I hope to have that pulled into an XMOS core in a future revision. This is a 6 layer board, with a 128TQFP and a 64TQFP on the front, and one 128TQFP on the back. The XLB XLD connectors at the bottom allow strapping two or more boards together using 5w links, so that I can have n*4 channels onto a single ethernet connection.

The processor on the right drives the analog section, the one on the top/back handles buffering in the 32MB of SDRAM (that's the rectangular device on the back), and the one on front/left handles communication between boards. There is a smattering of additional I/O brought to the other connectors, and a couple of sets of LEDs for diagnostics and visualizing buffer state. The LEDs are driven from 3v3 and selected by driving the pins low. They are are also brought to connectors, so they can be optionally be used as pulled-up inputs.

UPDATE For anyone who is interested in my layout, I may move to diamond formation on the devices for a future iteration. (Rotating all XMOS devices by 45deg.) I'm interested to know if anyone has experience with 45deg placement in design/manufacturing.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

@russf

impressive looking board :)

What chip are you using for your analog inputs?
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

Thanks Tony,

A lot of work in there....

Analog chain is: MCP6S93, MAX296, MCP3301

I was fairly careful with the layout of the analog parts, and I have ground planes and ground fills as appropriate.

We'll see how good a job I did, in a few weeks.

If you have any comments, let me know ;)

--r
BEBDigitalAudio
Experienced Member

Post by BEBDigitalAudio »

Hi Octal,

we are currently integrating a XS1-L2 into our main product (the KissBox). You can see a picture of the development unit in my profile (and I can send you a picture of the PCB being routed if you want)
Product should be ready before July if planning is followed

I am also working on a remote audio processor, also based on a XS1-L2, but the main processor is an Analog Devices DSP.

Benoît
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Hey Benoit we all love to see project pics/design, please put them up

I presume its a 4 layer board your working on?

regards
Al