XML1

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.

What do you think?

Awesome!
20%
I'm Interested in buying one
40%
Too expensive
13%
Needs work
27%
Too little features
No votes

Total votes: 15
rp181
Respected Member

XML1

Post by rp181 »

XMOS Minimalist Board - L1

As most of you know, I have been working on the board. At this point, everything works - but the flash (an easy fix, just a wrong package). The board features:
- L1 Single Core Processor - 500 MHz
- 1x 8 bit port
- 8x 1 bit ports
- On board Flash
- XTAG Compatibility (via breakout)
- Castellated holes
- Very small size

The main processing board (not final, a few minor modifications have been made):
http://api.ning.com/files/WOcd0cy41LJTN ... llated.jpg
The board measures 1.6" x .7625" (Smaller than the XTAG) and has castellated holes (maybe non-castellated version), allowing for the soldering onto parent boards (containing periphrials).

This board can be soldered to a breakout board:

measuring 2" x 1.1" (Breadboard compatible), providing IO and JTAG for the XTAG2.

Right now, I am unsure how to have a temporary board simply for programming - maybe just holding in the headers?

As of right now, for 100 boards, pricing stands at:
~40$ for the main processing board
~45-50$ for the processing and the breakout

Thoughts?

EDIT: For a sense of size, this is the first prototype (which is a teensy bit bigger)
http://api.ning.com/files/jMp9-Jstzmuld ... /ravi5.jpg
http://api.ning.com/files/q6qtrPNPGGOha ... /ravi1.jpg
Last edited by rp181 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

What I like:

The minimal size - it is easy to integrate it into existing circuit - that is great

What I don't like:

Would a XTAG port on the base board itself make sense?
This would make it more versatile.
Pogo Pins or a small connector (JST style or something like this) would be great.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

rp181, the jpegs are not working. png works
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

The jpegs are just links, they seem to be working fine for me. Anyone else having an issue?

I was thinking, for the XTAG, to try an stagger the holes a bit, so a header could easily, and temporarily, pressed in.

EDIT: I pushed all the components closer together, so I will be adding an SMD header to the top of the board, that will connect to the JTAG. This way it can be programmed in system.

And from a price standpoint, $37 for a baseboard and $7 for a XTAG breakout and Breadboard compatible is looking feasible (or $43 for a complete set).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Hi rp181,

I've just had a look at your design - nice work, but there are a few issues that I've noticed:
- The power supplies are not sequenced. Please see: https://www.xmos.com/published/xs1-l-ha ... -checklist
- R11 / R12 are not required.
- MODE[1:0] should be tied high to 3V3 for your oscillator configuration rather than left floating.
- The 1V0 core power decouplers need distributing evenly around the L1.
- The 3V3 rail around the chip could do with a couple more 100nF decouplers.
- The ground plane on the board is sub-optimal - particularly under the L1 device - all the return current goes through a very small path back to the ground pin which can cause quite a few issues on the board. e.g. high PDN impedance, chip instability, EMC and cross-talk issues.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Corin
jonathan
Respected Member

Post by jonathan »

Corin - thanks on behalf of the community, this kind of feedback is very important and I am sure it is very valued.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Thank you for that list!

-The power supplies are not sequenced. Please see: https://www.xmos.com/published/xs1-l-ha ... -checklist
They are actually sequenced. The 1V reg has an RC circuit on the enable pin that gives a excellent delay. Subsequently, reset triggers are supplied. Signals look great on a scope!
- R11 / R12 are not required.
I was doubtful of this, thanks for the confirmation!
- MODE[1:0] should be tied high to 3V3 for your oscillator configuration rather than left floating.
Both MODE1 and MODE0 are tied to 3v3. MODE 2,3 are tied to TRST_N.
- The 1V0 core power decouplers need distributing evenly around the L1.
I will work on this. I had placed them hastily just trying to get them of the bottom.
- The 3V3 rail around the chip could do with a couple more 100nF decouplers.
Will work on this too!
- The ground plane on the board is sub-optimal - particularly under the L1 device - all the return current goes through a very small path back to the ground pin which can cause quite a few issues on the board. e.g. high PDN impedance, chip instability, EMC and cross-talk issues.
I was under the impression I wanted a small return path. I can remove quite a bit of via's to lengthen the return path.

EDIT: I see what you mean by a small path, I confused it with a short path. That has been difficult. Will board houses solder to a pad with a via in it?

EDIT2: Here are the eagle files. Having trouble putting decoupling capacitors on the "north" corners.
Note that the FLASH in this is wrong at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Ah - I think I had the old version

For the ground plane - ideally the whole of the bottom of the PCB should be a solid ground plane with a few a slots (caused by tracks) as possible.

Kind Regards,
Corin
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Corin wrote:Hi rp181,

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Corin
The mode pins have internal pull-ups that are strong enough to be left floating?
Corin
Experienced Member

Post by Corin »

Bianco,

This is correct, but we still recommend that they are tied, rather than just left floating.

Kind Regards,
Corin