Modular Build System for the github stuff?

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Modular Build System for the github stuff?

Post by Interactive_Matter »

Hi,

a lot of the github stuff seem to be using a python based modular build/config environment. Is there some information how to use it?

Is there some kind of integration/comatibility with the XDE?

Thanks

Marcus

davelacey
Experienced Member

Post by davelacey »

Interactive_Matter wrote:Hi,

a lot of the github stuff seem to be using a python based modular build/config environment. Is there some information how to use it?

Is there some kind of integration/comatibility with the XDE?

Thanks

Marcus
The build system itself is not python based. It uses xmake, a port of GNU Make supplied with the xmos tools. Some details are available here:

https://github.com/xcore/Community/wiki ... tory-usage

I'll change the xcommon readme to point to this as well.

It is compatible with the XDE. The xcore_template module (which you can adapt using the instructions in its README) includes .project and .cproject files which means you can import the module into the XDE.

Dave
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Ok,

that was exactly the information I was looking for.

Integrating modules from different projects (=git repositories) is not supported yet?

Thanks

Marcus
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

davelacey wrote: The build system itself is not python based. It uses xmake, a port of GNU Make supplied with the xmos tools. Some details are available here:
BTW: what is the python stuff for? Just trying to understand the multi module biuld idea
davelacey
Experienced Member

Post by davelacey »

Interactive_Matter wrote:Ok,

that was exactly the information I was looking for.

Integrating modules from different projects (=git repositories) is not supported yet?

Thanks

Marcus
It is supported. Just place the git repo cloned directories in the same working directory and you can refer to a module from one of the other repos in the USED_MODULES list of the app you are building.
davelacey
Experienced Member

Post by davelacey »

Interactive_Matter wrote: BTW: what is the python stuff for? Just trying to understand the multi module biuld idea

The scripts in the testplan/ directory are to do with a formal way of writing specifications and testplans which is currently undocumented. To be honest they may get moved out of the xcommon repo while people consider different ways of doing validation.

The scripts in the util/ directory are rename_repository.py and check_repository.py. rename_repository.py is used to rename the xcore_template to a users new repository - see the xcore_template doc.

check_reposiory.py performs checks on a repository to check it is in a decent format for an XCore open source project repo. Currently it justs checks the copyright headers/license and optionally allows you to add them to your repo.
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

thanks for the explanation. I think I will need some time to understand it all
davelacey
Experienced Member

Post by davelacey »

Interactive_Matter wrote:thanks for the explanation. I think I will need some time to understand it all
No probs. I you have more problems feel free to ask and I can try and expand the docs a bit.