Interested in Training?

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
wardy

Interested in Training?

Post by wardy »

My productivity with Xcore is relatively low at the moment, partially due to my job getting in the way, but also due to my lack of knowledge.

My embedded programming skills are not at a level they should be, which made me look into Xmos training. Currently there isn't any... This brought about a few questions, which make me wonder whether it's possible to generate enough interest to make it worthwhile for the staff at Xmos to deliver training courses?

Please answer below with answers to the following questions: -

1) Are you interested in training?
2) What makes training most attractive to you? (Cost, location, content etc)
3) What locations would you feel most comfortable with? Examples:- London / Bristol, New York / Las Vegas etc.
4) What would you consider a reasonable fee for the training?
5) Would you like as much squeezed into 1 week of training or split into two courses?
6) Content - What specifically would you like to see covered, making your training worthwhile?

WIth enough interest and feedback, maybe we can push this to Xmos to get something going? I look forward to seeing your thoughts.

franksanderdo
Experienced Member

Post by franksanderdo »

Hey folks,

here come some answers:

1) Are you interested in training?
yes
2) What makes training most attractive to you? (Cost, location, content etc)
content
3) What locations would you feel most comfortable with? Examples:- London / Bristol, New York / Las Vegas etc.
should depend a little on were most trainees come from ;-)
4) What would you consider a reasonable fee for the training?
difficult, depends very much on the package
5) Would you like as much squeezed into 1 week of training or split into two courses?
As a trainer for PLCs I have made best experience with a basics training and 2nd advanced training later.
6) Content - What specifically would you like to see covered, making your training worthwhile?
Lets start with the basics of parallel processing.

See you around
Frank
wardy

Post by wardy »

Either I posted in the wrong forum, or there isn't much interest in training?
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

I read this the first time around and forgot all about it, doh!

I'd certainly be interested in some sort of XMOS based courses. I have a background in electronics from my degree though spend most of my time writing software for work. I intend, most evenings, to spend some time on XMOS but sometimes it's difficult to find the opportunity. The course would be a great way to kick-start motivation.

I think it would be great if there were some sort of training in how to physically use the devices (e.g., required ancillary electronics), essentially a "How to move beyond the XC-1A" of sorts. I think this is a stage that can hold many people back, especially (new) hobbyists. The first few moments with any development kit can be rewarding (flashing lights/toggling signals/writing a driver/etc) but like most things, this is only really useful if you have a purpose and sometimes moving beyond the kit can be difficult.

Along side this training in XMOS specific software development would be great (XC differences, how to get the most from XDE, XScope, etc).

Indeed, I can see lots of nice things that could be very interesting and help develop a sense of loyalty; if you are familiar with a particular architecture I think it is only normal to look to that when you're considering any given project.

Having said this, I think it could be a very expensive path for XMOS to take especially with limited interest. The main problem I see is that many of the members here have (I'd imagine) 'self-taught' all of this and probably do not wish to invest in training. Those other XMOS users who do not post here we can only assume are having no difficulty (and hence no training requirement) or are getting any assistance they need directly. The only other group I can think of are those who might be interested in XMOS but do not know where to begin. These would probably be the most likely to want training but may not check here and register interest.

In summary: I'll keep an eye out for any XMOS training but I'm not holding my breath just yet! :)
rubenc

Post by rubenc »

wardy wrote:Either I posted in the wrong forum, or there isn't much interest in training?
It seems right where you post your question, but indeed I havent found alot of interest... yet...
but I am also interested on it.
But more in the Imparting Trainings thing. lets hope we can find more people and some of this days we can start the trainings.

Where are you from?
wardy

Post by wardy »

I am from Bristol, what about yourself?

Seems there are many people out there who have sufficiently self taught / been helped along well enough by others to get by without training.

I still see a potential requirement though - possibly where migrating users from alternative technologies to XMoss products?
rubenc

Post by rubenc »

I am in Stuttgart, Germany.
And I do see the need too. I must say I am no expert on Xmos, but I find it really interesting architecture and I see alot of potential, but it would need to be pushed otherwise not alot of people will implement it.

to learn it self might be complicated for some.
I also had some trouble at the beginning.