XTAG2 and XK1 distribution and pricing

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Folknology
XCore Legend

XTAG2 and XK1 distribution and pricing

Post by Folknology »

As per Xcore home page:
XMOS has lowered the price of the XK-1A development kit this week on distributor sites such as digikey

The price reduction list is as follows:

XK-1A complete, including XTAG2 JTAG debug adapter: $59
Standalone XTAG2 debug adapter: $19
You can find a full list of distributors on the XK-1A product page here
This is great news, especially an Xtag2 for $19 well done guys, this really lowers the price barrier for newbies.

However even though it talks about XK1A distributors I can only find these at digikey, when I look for XK1a and Xtag on Future Electronics I cannot find them or this offer. I also cannot find the new 48 pin devices at Future Electronics either which leaves me with a couple of queries:

1) Is this just a temporary offer or will both of these products stay at this low price
2) Are these being reduced prior to new replacement or improved products?
3) Is Xmos pulling out of multiple distribution (by pulling out of Future Electronics) and also moving too a single distributor - Digikey?
4) Its a real pain getting samples from Digikey when one just needs 1's and 2's any chance of signing a distribution company like Farnell/Element 14 to make things easier for none US developers?

regards
Al

Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Farnell would be very nice.
It's the preferred prototype supplier in europe and they don't care if we use them for our home-build nukes unlike digikey.
Skeksis

Post by Skeksis »

Lol@Bianco

Looks like I'm not the only one who started salivating like a maniac at the news of of XK-1 price drop, I plan to pick one up the moment my student loan comes in.

Adding to Folknology's post, I can't say I've used Digikey in the past but ease of purchase is definitely a bonus when buying up single development boards. I hate having the purchasing process make the acquisition seem like a chore instead of the small hurdle you forget after it's done.
"Time is an illusion. Lunch-time doubly so." - Douglas Adams
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Hey guys - let me answer these:
1) Is this just a temporary offer or will both of these products stay at this low price?
It is a permanent offer for both products, they'll stay at the price they are now.
2) Are these being reduced prior to new replacement or improved products?
There are no immediate replacements planned. The XK-1A and XTAG will remain core products.
3) Is Xmos pulling out of multiple distribution (by pulling out of Future Electronics) and also moving too a single distributor - Digikey?
We'll continue with multiple worldwide distributors. Sometimes it takes a while for other web sites to update their pricing and it's something out of our hands (though we'll start nagging if it takes them forever).
4) Its a real pain getting samples from Digikey when one just needs 1's and 2's any chance of signing a distribution company like Farnell/Element 14 to make things easier for none US developers?
Noted - I'll pass this onto the higher management!
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

It is a permanent offer for both products, they'll stay at the price they are now.
There are no immediate replacements planned. The XK-1A and XTAG will remain core products.
Thanks for the quick response Paul that is excellent news

To be specific about Future Electronic Xmos product listings They appear to stock the old XK1:
http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/tec ... -XK-1.aspx
but not the new XK1A which is strange
They also do not seem to list the Xtag2 by itself and I can't find any of the new 48 Pin L1 chips listed at all.

regards
Al
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Always glad to help :)

Oh that is weird - I'll get someone to speak to them and see when they'll be updating their stock.

Thanks for pointing it out