Slicekit + 'Low Level Ethernet Demo'? Instructions?

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Chendy

Slicekit + 'Low Level Ethernet Demo'? Instructions?

Post by Chendy »

Hi all,

I'm trying to test the 'Low Level Ethernet Demo'. But I can't find any instructions. I assume once setup correctly, all I would have to do is in terminal is

Code: Select all

$ ping X.X.X.X
as the demo should respond to a standard ping.

Setting up the Slicekit and Ethernet Slice

I have plugged in the Ethernet Slice to 'Circle' on the Slicekit:
My understanding of ethernet_board_conf.h from the folders 'SLICEKIT-L16' and 'SLICEKIT-L2' in '
module_ethernet_board_support', is that not defining one of 'ETHERNET_USE_SQUARE_SLOT' etc will cause the setup to default to 'CIRCLE'. I cannot see any defines for 'ETHERNET_USE_XXXX_SLOT' in the demo, so 'Circle' it is.

Ethernet Network Wiring

I assume that I can't just connect the Slicekit directly into the Ethernet port of my laptop, as there would be no allocation of IP addresses via DHCP? So should I connect Slicekit to a network switch, and likewise my laptop?

Does it matter whether a crossover or standard Ethernet cable is used? (Does the PHY deal with that issue?)

Selecting an appropriate IP Address for the Slicekit

Demo.xc states:

Code: Select all

// NOTE: YOU MAY NEED TO REDEFINE THIS TO AN IP ADDRESS THAT WORKS
// FOR YOUR NETWORK
#define OWN_IP_ADDRESS {192, 168, 1, 178}
Im pretty confused.

OWN_IP_ADDRESS is the IP of the Slicekit? Does this set a static IP address for the Slicekit?

How would I go about choosing an appropriate address using Linux?

Any help getting this demo to work would be appreciated

Thanks

Senthil

stefanharjes

Post by stefanharjes »

It is usually pretty straightforward.
-First you have to setup your ethernet interface on your laptop. This depends on you distribution. I usually use dnsmasq as dhcp server on that interface and statically assign an ip to this laptop interface. There are plenty of home router howtos which give details for your distribution.

-Then you connect the xmos kit. Nowadays it does not matter if you use crossed or not crossed cables.
-start the demo with logging enabled (either in the xtimecomposer, or command line with "xrun --io file.xe"
-then broadcast ping on the laptop interface with 255. For example i assign 192.168.7.1 to my laptop interface and tell the xmos kit to use 192.168.7.99 as its own ip. Then I ping "ping -b 192.168.7.255" which will ping all devices connected to this (laptop) interface. The xmos should tell you if it receives packets...