XMOS LED tile display solutions

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
jason
XCore Expert

XMOS LED tile display solutions

Post by jason »

uZ1rDKJ0bTc

Sam Garcia explains how he created an LED tile display board in a very short time-scale using an XMOS processor, and how by using XMOS processors, one can gain an advantage over say an FPGA with regards development times and future maintenance of deployed hardware.

XMOS is the leader in event-driven processors™ for digital electronics. XMOS event-driven processors ™ are high performance, predictable, processors. They allow complete systems to be implemented in software using interface, DSP and control code. XMOS is an enabling technology for the Open Source Hardware community. Designs, including USB, Ethernet, and SD-RAM controllers are available in an ever-expanding library of open source code. Free to download, the XMOS development tools are supported by a vibrant community of digital designers and software engineers. XMOS is based in Bristol, UK, Sunnyvale, CA, and Chennai, India with sales offices and representatives across the world.

eLyn2Ghq_oE

shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Ya know the led tile kit would be exellent for someone developing a programing console for the XCore.
Just add some forbs, toggle, twiddle, tweek. Maybe I'll pickup on it in a future project.
herbx

Post by herbx »

I have actually design LED drive solution based on FPGAs, so I am more than a little intrigued with this design solution. I would be interested to know what the video file format is on the SD card.

Take a typical LED panel of resolution 64x48, of dimension 128cm x 96cm, of pixel pitch 20mm.
Let us say that there 4 leds per pixels (2 reds or 2 greens, 1 of the other colours), that represents 12,288 byes of image data. There are all manner of clever ways to drive LEDs, so let us assume direct drive, rasterizing using PWM, is it being claimed that a single XMOS device shown can update the LED display 50 times a second continuously all from a user program, processing the current frame whilst getting ready the next. I would like to check out the code shown in the demo and have it drive one of my LED modules, because anything that can do all that on a 2-layer board is worth checking out. I can do all that with single $20.00 FPGA with a continuous input stream, not a SD card.

Pixel matching and ladders were mentioned in the video, rather simplistic I would say.

Herbx
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Code and docs for LED tiles are here - http://www.xmos.com/applications/led-signs-and-displays feel free to take a look!
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
avtop

Post by avtop »

Hi

I need circuit and code of Video Project that shown on Sam Garcia Video 64Pin Single Core L1 Device used with SDCard

thx