xflash not working on El Capitan

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
Redeye
XCore Addict

xflash not working on El Capitan

Post by Redeye »

I've just updated to El Capitan (after holding off for what I hoped was a safe amount of time) and although xTimeComposer seems to be working, xflash isn't. The problem appears to be in the listing of XTAG devices, so the problem can be reproduced like this :

xgdb --batch -q -ex listdevices >/var/tmp/devl_sCZ0Ke
Error : cannot find xdbg_getDeviceInfo in xdbg_api.so

which is the first thing that xflash seems to do when you run it. I was trying to run this with v13.1 tools but it seems the same in v14.1 as well.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

Redeye
XCore Addict

Post by Redeye »

Okay, I've managed to find a solution for this. The problem is something to do with System Integrity Protection which was a feature introduced in El Capitan. I've looked through what Apple list as the files/folders protected by SIP and I'm not exactly sure why it's a problem. However, if you disable SIP then xflash magically starts working again. It does only seem to be xflash that's the problem, everything else seems to be fine.

So, the workaround to those who find this problem is to disable SIP (reboot into recovery mode, then run "csrutil disable" in terminal and reboot). I think this should probably filed as a bug though - SIP isn't going to go away and it's not great having to disable security features just to get software to run.

colin
Experienced Member

Post by colin »

Tools version 14.1.1 or above has addressed XFLASH issues on El Capitan.  You can download this version from the XMOS website.