XMOS & iPhone

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Goncalo

XMOS & iPhone

Post by Goncalo »

Version: 1
License: BSD
Download: /files/project_builds/XMOS_iPhone.zip

The main idea of this project is to show one possible interaction between an iPhone and XMOS technology.

- All the code provided is just an example how to implement this project.

- All the code from the iPhone side is provided (SwarmDrive.rar) and only the necessary code on the XMOS side is provided (iPhone_Example.rar). (The reason why I don't give all the XMOS code it is because the user should have the ability to add the functionality that he/she desires. The original code would be more confusing rather then helping just because it was designed towards swarms implementation. Swarms is not the purpose of this project)

- But if someone is interested, please contact me, I can certainly help.
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Project Description:

- To make the application for the iPhone, I used the iphone_software_development_kit_3.1.3 with xcode_3.2.1 for the snow leopard (MAC OS).

- To help programming for the iPhone you can read the following book: " "

- The XMOS board used was the XC-2 Ethernet Kit. If you want to use the same project on a different XMOS board just change the Pins on the main.xc file. The rest of the code should be the same (it is not necessary to change).

- The main key for this solution is the use of a wireless module called WiFly GSX 802.11b/g Serial Module - Roving Networks (you have available for example at http://www.sparkfun.com)

- Then you just need to read the documentation of it and configure it as a Ad-Hoc network with a SSID name and an IP at your taste.

- Then when you power on this module and if you try to find a network with your iPhone you should be able to see the network name that you configured. Just give a static IP to your iPhone and connect to that network.

- If you follow the youtube video you can see how the application works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs5_dM64KN0).
This is just one possible way of using the iPhone to interact with XMOS technology. This is just a simple example but it is enough to understand the concept.

With this module you need 2 tasks maximum (Rx and Tx) in your XMOS and then you can use the remaining tasks at your own imagination. Don't forget that you can have your own messages over the UDP/TCP packages : ).

Have fun!
Video:

Goncalo

Post by Goncalo »

"Beginning iPhone Development - Exploring the iPhone SDK", Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche, Apress 2009
nassim
Experienced Member

Post by nassim »

this is a great application for what XC2 can do, thanks xmos and xcore for this beautiful kit when i won one.
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

I am most happy to see this as a project on XCore! A great implementation and I am most excited to see the helicopter equivalent sometime!
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

That wifi module is sweeeeet.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

I'm intrested to use an iPad, or probably one of the linux version of touch-Pads that have a JAVA engine. (I'm not Macified)
I will not have robots on the XMOS side, but alot of realtime control systems. WLAN=YES.
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.