Parameter control on lin33

Technical questions regarding the xTIMEcomposer, xSOFTip Explorer and Programming with XMOS.
hyuting1008
New User

Parameter control on lin33

Postby hyuting1008 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:11 am

Hello,

We are using a L33 EVA Board and would like to change the parameters "BEAMWIDTH" and "BEAMANGLE" to modify the DOA range in the run time.
The control signal would come from other MCU.
Could we use the redundant ports and change their level (1 or 0) to represent different Beamwidth/Beamangle combination?
or from the documents, it seems that the I2C bus control is a regular solution.
But we couldn't figure out the exact programming/control of I2C.
Could anyone having experience on parameter control give us some advice or sample code?
We really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot!
mon2
XCore Legend

Postby mon2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi. Do not have this kit and support material appears to be available only on demand and to customers of the kit through the XMOS portal.

Proceed to download all relevant hardware documents for your kit which should offer schematics for the PCBA. The landing page for the kit notes that optional control is available over I2S and I2C so it should be possible to interface with your external micro over I2C and then steer the DOA as you wish. The I2C interface is most likely already present and enabled on the kit. What you may have to consider is that the XMOS CPU is most likely an I2C bus master that is chatting with onboard I2C hardware components. However, for your project, you wish to use an external micro to offer the DOA details which most likely will also be an I2C master residing on the same bus. For this reason, if possible, make your external micro an I2C slave so that you can simply extend the L33 IP and continue to leave the XMOS as the I2C bus master.

Varying with the CPU you are using there are many such public examples on building I2C slaves, etc. and often with DMA support (ie. STM32 series, etc. offer such code examples).

The alternate plan is to insert an I2C slave component into the XMOS CPU and then use your external CPU as the I2C master but this could get complicated but not impossible to support.

Regardless, you will have to proceed to receive the access to the related documents through the XMOS portal.

Hope this helps.