Putting an XC-2 on the Web

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Putting an XC-2 on the Web

Post by leon_heller »

Now I've sorted out my problems with my XC-2s, I'll see if I can make one of them available via the Web. I came across this outfit: http://www.no-ip.com/ that some people use for hosting their own web servers. It's free for a basic account. Has anyone else done anything similar, not necessarily with XMOS kit?

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Yeah all these dynamic DNS services work great. A lot of routers even have a client for them built in so you don't need a program constantly running and checking if your IP has changed.Only thing to make sure is that your router is passing on the correct ports to the correct addresses (especially with multiple routers on your LAN) The quick way of checking that is to type your IP in to a online proxy site and see if it opens (Trying to open your IP from your own network doesn't work).

Altho i don't recommend exposing the XC-2 to the web with the horrible TCP/IP stack we have now that locks up even when put up against LAN traffic.(Come on xmos give us usable ethernet)
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Thanks, Berni. It looks as though I'm on the right lines. I've also got a couple of ARM mbeds here, and I think that web server software is available for them. I've got four spare ports on my BT Home Hub.

I just tried accessing my host address - leonheller.servebeer.com. I got taken to the Home Hub manager which asked me to change the password. This shows that something is working, I suppose.
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Well do make sure you have the web configuration off on your hub. You have to watch out what parts of the LAN you expose to the outside world(There be badies out there).So its best to only forward the port you need and keep everything else closed. Also the server must have a static IP inside your LAN to make sure the outside traffic always forwards to it.(Might not need to if the DHCP is smart enough)
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

Indeed I used DynDNS for years - really good service IMO.

http://www.dyndns.com/
RogerH

Post by RogerH »

My ARM 7 LPC2478-STK some times on the Internet:

http://hills.getmyip.com

LPC2478, FreeRTOS, uIP

Cheers, Roger...
RogerH

Post by RogerH »

Hi Leon,

Any progress on getting the XC-2 on the net?

Regards, Roger...