Slicekit Modular Development System Is On Its Way

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Berni wrote: But i think the base set should include only 1 of the xcore boards as its a good idea to keep the cost down to not put off too many potential users by the price (They usually wont want to pay a lot for a MCU they dont know about much)
Agree with the point about keeping its cost down. The student/hobbyist market is full of low cost microcontroller boards such as Ardunio and Mbed and the upcoming Raspberry-Pi. These are the price points that should be considered.
Berni wrote: Another important thing is to include some adapter boards that bing the card edge connectors in to a standard 0.1in header so they can wire up there own stuff easily if they like (A 2 sided board with 0 components on it is cheep anyway)
Again I agree with the idea of standard 0.1" headers. They make prototyping so much easier.

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

DanB wrote: Do you still think that a Slice is required to breakout the IO, or would the headers on the Core Board be sufficient? I'd have thought the latter, though I can understand that perhaps a user may develop something based on the headers that they'd like to conveniently be able to remove and reattach at a later date (e.g., they may use a 'Breakout Slice' per project they are working on).

Thanks, sorry i missed that part of it, but i think there should still be a few of these adapter boards so you can plug them in and out as you go between projects and it leaves those test points empty so you can poke your scope at those signals easily Those test points also have lots of room around them for nice individual pin markings for quick identification of the pin out (I recently designed a test board and im kicking my self cause i didn't label individual pins on silkscreen even tho i had room as there is a lot of counting to find the right pin when the whole IO of core 0 of an L2 is brought to a single header)

Altho because cost of this system can only be brought down so far its still a good idea to make a 40 pin DIP module for an L1 since you can drive the cost of that really down, also its possible to go back to the old XTAG that uses the FTDI chip since that could possibly be fit on to the DIP module it self and can reduce cost even further. Cheep entry points don't just make it nice for hobbyists also companys that might use XMOS chips certainly like it if they can get a kit really cheep and risk free to see how the thing works in practice and decide if they want to use it in there mass produced product.

Another important thing that should be kept in mind is the software that comes with the kit.Its well worth the effort to make a series of tutorials that use the hadrware from the kit to do things, also provide librarys for all the hardware on it and explaining in detail how to connect multiple boards together in the XDE as its not that simple.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

Berni wrote: Altho because cost of this system can only be brought down so far its still a good idea to make a 40 pin DIP module for an L1 since you can drive the cost of that really down, also its possible to go back to the old XTAG that uses the FTDI chip since that could possibly be fit on to the DIP module it self and can reduce cost even further. Cheep entry points don't just make it nice for hobbyists also companys that might use XMOS chips certainly like it if they can get a kit really cheep and risk free to see how the thing works in practice and decide if they want to use it in there mass produced product.
I agree, the SliceKit Modular Development System is great (indeed, I cannot wait to try it out!) however in my opinion it does not replace the need for the 40 pin DIP module... Both projects would be fantastically received and both for different reasons. However, I don't think the 40 pin DIP module should be brought into this thread (despite me doing so previously, I know!) and that discussion should be kept separate. Dan has confirmed XMOS do not plan to develop the 40 pin DIP module further and therefore it becomes a community project - Please do head over to that thread and keep the discussion going... Your stackable xlink idea was fantastic - Make it happen! :)
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Yes thats not the point of this thread, just wanted to bring it up in the cost part since i don't really see this kit becoming under 150 bucks.

Also once its out it might be a good idea to also establish some sort of voting system to determine what kind of slices are most wanted and should be added to the arsenal.
mculibrk

Post by mculibrk »

Hmm... I was (or better, I am) a little out of recent "happenings" regarding XMOS...

so, what's the current status of this Slicekit "project"?
Are there any news?
Any plans when any of the mentioned boards should be available?

I see no "official" notes anywhere...

regards